You now have a choice other than going with just Con Edison as energy providers like Accent Energy, Bluerock, Citizens Choice Energy, Energy Plus, Frontier Utilities, MPower, MX Energy, Oasis Power, Public Power and Utility of NY, Ambit Energy and many more are competing to sell electric service to you as well.
Your New York electricity bill consists of two parts. There is the supply line item on your bill and the delivery line items on your bill.
The state of New York allows you to continue to purchase electricity from your local electric utility or choose an alternate NY electricity service company also known as an ESCO.
Before choosing a competing electricity company in New York we recommend doing the following:
- Compare prices and services offered.
- Review terms which may cover special fees, deposits, renewals and switching procedures.
- Consider customer service features including complaint handling, hours of operation, and toll-free numbers.
- Research the company’s background. You may want to know how long the company has been in business, the company’s location or if it is affiliated with a utility or any other company.
- Always review the terms and conditions before committing to an ESCO offer.
After you change electric companies make sure you are being charged correctly. We can help our commercial and industrial electric customers make sure of this after they receive their first bill.
The electricity bill should have the delivery charges separate from the supply charges. It has been known for some disreputable electric companies to hide fees in one or both of these categories to make their electric rates look better.
If you are suspicious of a charge or feel like the electricity company you chose has attempted to hide their fees you can call the company to complain and have them explain.
If the New York electricity company you have chosen is unable to justify their reasons for hiding a fee or charge you can complain to the public utility commission of New York.
The commission will look into your complaint and take it up with your electricity provider.
If you have questions about comparing electricity rates in New York using our reverse auction process or the residential compare box at the top right please call us at 1-800-971-4020